LINKS TO INTERESTING STUFF ON THE WEB – CETACEAN EDITION
- “Seven North Atlantic Right Whale Calves Spotted So Far This Year,” The Scientist The number is still too low to be sustainable, but last year it was zero, so it’s promising.
- “Beaked Whales Are the Deepest Divers,” New York Times Not that much is known about them, but they dive deeper and can stay longer than any other marine mammal.
- “Migrating blue whales rely on memory more than environmental cues to find prey,” ScienceDaily The largest animals on the planet migrate among their krill feeding grounds with the aid of keen memories, not just by following the food trail.
- “Secret Group of Killer Whales Discovered in Southern Ocean,” LiveScience Scientists had tantalizing hints of orcas with different body characteristics for years. Finally, they’ve identified them as a new species.
- “Male bottlenose dolphins form bachelor groups with their relatives,” ScienceDaily Tight groups of males work together to find and woo mates.